To resist, you need to be aware of a few things:
1. Trumpism is a rare blend of fascism and incompetence.
2. The «alternative facts» of Kellyanne Conway and Sean Spicer, the executive orders of Stephen Bannon and Stephen Miller? They are not so much malice but the embarrassing display of brazenness and incompetence.
3. The Trump team yearns for nothing more than respect and deference. They want to be taken seriously. Problem is: they are amateurs.
4. They confound the public with one idiocy after another. But that is just the amateur’s way of trying to stay atop.
5. If you panic, they feel like being in charge, ahead of you. Don’t allow them this advantage.
(6. The dark version of # 1 – 5 : People can only bear a certain amount of distress and panic. Then they capitulate. Not because the external forces are so strong, but because they cannot stand their own emotional turmoil any longer. That’s why the Trump team tries to keep people scared.)
Trumpism is a dangerous ideology and a dangerous program. It will undoubtedly harm a lot of people. But resistance can only become successful if and when we break the spell of their brazenness, that is, if and when we stop respecting them by offering them our fear. Look through it. They are amateurs, they are insecure and yearn for our respect while at the same time they try to push through a major program. Break the spell. Laugh about it. Laugh about them. Then fight them in the courts.
* * *